06-240/Homework Assignment 5
- Go over the "quick summary" of Tuesday's class and make sure that you understand it as well as its author and that you are able to complete all the details.
- Reread sections 1.6 and 1.7 in our textbook. Remember that reading math isn't like reading a novel! If you read a novel and miss a few details most likely you'll still understand the novel. But if you miss a few details in a math text, often you'll miss everything that follows. So reading math takes reading and rereading and rerereading and a lot of thought about what you've read. Remember that your prof. thinks that section 1.7 is useless fun. Also, preread chapter 2, just to get a feel for the future.
- Solve problems 17, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 28 and 29a on pages 56-57, but submit only your solutions of problems 17, 26, 28 and 29a. This assignment is due at the tutorials on Thursday October 19.
Many students are anxious to hear more about the upcoming Term Exam. Sorry, but the full details will only be available next week. Meanwhile, two frequently asked questions and their answers:
- Will there be "proof questions"?
- Sure. What else have we done so far?
- Do we need to know the proofs from class?
- Sure. There's a reason why these proofs are in class to start with; if they weren't valuable, we wouldn't have covered them.