06-1350/Class Notes for Tuesday September 19
- Talk about 06-1350/Some Equations by Kurlin.
- Talk about some interesting properties of knots:
- Can it be unknotted in less than 3 crossing changes?
- Does is bound a Seifert surface of genus less than 7? (See the program SeifertView by Jack van Wijk).
- Is it a boundary link? (See an amusing list at the bottom of the Knot Atlas page on The Multivariable Alexander Polynomial).
- Is it fibered? (See an animation by Robert Barrington Leigh).
- Is it a ribbon knot? Does it bound a disk in the 4-ball?
- Briefly mention a few other interesting properties of knots:
- Is it the closure of a braid on at most 6 strands?
- Does it have a projection with less than 23 crossings?
- Does it have an alternating projection?
- Is it algebraic?
- Does it have some symmetries?