07-401/Homework Assignment 9
Read chapter 32 of Gallian's book three times:
- First time as if you were reading a novel - quickly and without too much attention to detail, just to learn what the main keywords and concepts and goals are.
- Second time like you were studying for an exam on the subject - slowly and not skipping anything, verifying every little detail.
- And then a third time, again at a quicker pace, to remind yourself of the bigger picture all those little details are there to paint.
Solve problems 22#, 23, 24#, 25, 26# and 27# in Chapter 32 of Gallian's book but submit only the solutions of the problems marked with a sharp (#).
This assignment is due in class on Wednesday April 4, 2007.
Just for Fun
- Explain how the group ) of rigid rotations of can be identified with the subgroup of the group of invertible matrices.
- Prove that is not solvable (though note that the similarly-defined group is solvable).